The Carter Family

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Welcome Zane Madsen Carter!

Well he made it here! Boy do I have so much to blog about. Let me first say that this labor and delivery was BY far the hardest thing I have ever done in MY ENTIRE LIFE!

I will have to blog about the Saturday before I went into to labor but I have fun pictures to share for that post.  That night was our church Relief Society meeting and our stake had an all day pow wow. I didn't get there until about 4:00 and enjoyed some time there. I watched the conference and felt little contractions here and there. Mind you for dinner we had beans so I thought in my head it could be just gas.

I got home and Troy and I settled for the night. I kept feeling these gas like pains and chalked it up to the beans. Finally about midnight I realized that the pain I was having was indeed contractions. So I started timing them on my phone. See my chart below...

Finally about 5am I woke up Troy and told him it was time to call the doctor and see if we should come in. The call in nurse told us that if we didn't hear back from the on call doctor within 30 minutes to call  him back. So we waited... and waited.... and the on call nurse called back and told us to go in even without hearing back from the doctor. And shortly thereafter we got a call back. The doctor asked what baby number this was and Troy told him 3 and the doctor said we should get to the hospital.

So we called my parents and they were expecting the call. My mom had a feeling it was coming so they cancelled a train trip they planned on going on that day. My mom got there as I showered and tried to think of any last minute items to throw in the bag. (BTW make sure you bag is completely packed before you go into labor because your brain leaves your head when contractions come)

We got in the van and started the drive north. I kind of panicked in my head wondering if we would make it to the hospital in time because as I sat up or walked my contractions were more frequent and harder. I discovered the use of this in our car....


Yes I literally held onto it the WHOLE drive up there, and I WAS SO THANKFUL to have it!

We arrived at the hospital right at shift change which was around 7am. We parked and started to walk in. IT was painful to walk and I had contraction right after contraction. Some of the nurses who were coming on shift noticed us and asked if I wanted a wheel chair. HELL YES I WANT A WHEEL CHAIR! Then right as I was sitting down my contact flew out. BLAH! But a nice nurse asked if I needed contact solution. We were both surprised at how nice our experience at this hospital was so far in our first 10 minutes!

PART II coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment